August 21, 2008

"Seeking God"

This is a poem by St. Teresa of Avila about some words she received during prayer, "Seek yourself in Me":

Soul, You must seek yourself in Me
And in yourself seek Me

With such skill, soul,
Love could portray you in Me
That a painter well gifted
could never show
So finely that image.

For love you were fashioned
Deep within Me
Painted so beautiful, so fair;
If, my beloved I should lose you,
Soul, in yourself seek Me.

Well I know that you will discover
Yourself portrayed in my heart
So lifelike drawn
It will be a delight to behold
Yourself so well painted

And should by chance you do not know
Where to find Me
Do not go here and there;
But if you wish to find Me,
In yourself seek Me.

Soul, since you are My room,
My house and dwelling,
If at any time,
Through your distracted ways,
I find the door tightly closed,

Outside yourself seek Me not,
To find Me it will be
Enough only to call Me,
Then quickly will I come,
And in yourself seek Me.


*the rhyme is off due to translation from Spanish to English

Beautiful Meditation!!

No comments:

LoveServes Nunsong