August 28, 2008

A night in the streets

As I am still at home, I have been seeking some volunteer employment. My first opportunity came this past Monday evening. I worked with what my home parish terms "blanket Monday" (it goes by different names in each area so as to keep it all God and not give the credit to those in charge).

The ministry involves taking blankets, food, clothing, shoes, bags, and most importantly LOVE to the homeless of Pittsburgh. The homeless begin lining up as early as 6pm for the services which begin at 10! Before beginning we made a stop into the nearby McDonalds. As I was standing there one man looked at me and said, "I see that smile! You are happy, aren't you?!" He was one of the homeless I would later see in line and was so glad to see my joy. The funny thing being that I did not even know I was smiling!

We arrived on the scene and began distributing these giant lunches packed with plenty of goodies including pastries, sandwiches, chips, crackers, etc. Then came blanket and clothing distribution. I was assigned to packaging the men's clothing after it was selected for them. A relatively simple task that meant so much to the men! To see them and to just give them a gentle smile was all I was able to do, but yet I felt so filled with a joy I cannot explain for the joy was not for me, it was for them, yet it was in me! CRAZY!!!Now, i know this Joy is Jesus and He decided to make His presence known not only to the homeless but also to me as He worked through me and in me. Still it is difficult to fathom.

Thank God for the chance to share Him with others and to see Him myself!!! AMEN!!

No comments:

LoveServes Nunsong