May 14, 2009

The Faith of the Elderly

I was amazed today by a story shared with me, and so I decided to share it with you.

One woman in our home in Philadelphia has been having a rough time and been a bit down. She mentioned to one of the sisters that she didn't know why she was destined for such sufferings! This sister turned to her and shook her finger, "Don;t ever use that word!" Confused, she questioned why. It seemed to her a fine word to use and of no significant harm. The sister replied, "You are, right now, sharing the cross of Christ. Sharing in His sufferings".

As this dear resident shared this story, a light came into her eyes at this line. She looked at me and said, "Do you know how great that made me feel? I just about felt that I was soaring! Me?! Share the cross with Christ?! Isn't that wonderful!?" It struck me how something which the world may generally see as bad, can be so uplifting for us if we truly love Our Lord. If we love Him, do we not wish to share in everything with Him? Including His cross? What a wonderful example this resident has shown me with her faith and her love for the Lord. Let us not be afraid to share with Him... but rather, let us REJOICE to share in His cross.

No comments:

LoveServes Nunsong