June 29, 2008

God and fleas?

I have been visiting family and friends for the past few weeks and God has revealed himself in so many ways, while also revealing my own weaknesses and shortcomings. One such very unusual way is through fleas. It sounds strange, but as I was petting my grandparent's dog, I felt something bite me. Looking down I saw it was a flea! So we went into a full-force cleaning of the house and animals. They received flea treatments and the carpets received thorough attention as well.

How was this an experience which brought me closer to Christ? First of all, it really helped me to come out of myself and complete service to my grandparents and their animals as I tried to do everything possible in the short time I was there. But more than that, it gave me a deeper appreciation for the sufferings of those who cannot live in very clean environments due to financial or social difficulties. Never before do I remember getting bitten by a flea, although my own animals have had them and this experience and the subsequent flea bites I obtained allowed me to truly feel for those less fortunate than myself. I have worked and volunteered helping the poor, but never truly felt for them as I did then. How strange that such a small little creature, despised by so many could put me in contact with my fellow man!

Thank God for fleas!

No comments:

LoveServes Nunsong