September 14, 2008

Volunteering

The past week I have spent living at my neighbor's house taking care of the dog. It has been a great chance for some extra exercise and silence. My days are quite regulated now in comparison to the past month of waking up not having any plans or agenda. Waking early, I bike to Mass, a bit of extra prayer time and return for breakfast. Then I walk the dog and it is off to the trolley. Taking "The T", as we refer to it here it Pittsburgh, I have begun a volunteer position with the refugee services of Catholic Charities. My time has been quite interesting, learning that we even have refugees coming into Pittsburgh and then seeing that we currently have 3 or 4 families arriving each day! The constant influx of people, trying to provide them with some permanent housing, and also their basic needs has been a challenge. I mostly am involved behind the scenes filling out paperwork and sorting through donations, but the refugees are in the office every day and just a simple smile is all I have to offer, yet they appreciate it immensely. How good it is to just show love. This is all we can do, be Love for the world.

No comments:

LoveServes Nunsong